By Barry Janoff
February 4, 2014: Does it pay to run a 30-second TV spot at the cost of $4 million, even if it potentially airs in front of 112.2 million viewers?
Companies that advertised on Fox during the national broadcast of Super Bowl XLVIII would say yes, but also are quick to add that they get a lot more than 30 seconds of fame to showcase their wares.
Even before an spots aired during Super Bowl XLVIII, ten brands including Anheuser-Busch's Budweiser and Bud Light, Volkswagen, Jaguar and Axe realized some $31.5 million in media value by pre-screening either their Super Bowl ads or teaser ads on YouTube.
The figure is based on a return on investment analysis conducted by Front Row Analytics, the sponsorship evaluation division of Front Row Marketing Services and a subsidiary of Philadelphia-based sports and entertainment group Comcast-Spectacor,
Front Row said these "before-kickoff values" are based on its proprietary YouTube Spot Value (YSV) algorithm. The exposure and value for each of the brands are built upon factors including the "number of unique views, integration, timing, release dates, and other salient metrics."
The YouTube views were counted until 6 PM (ET) on Feb. 2, the day of Super Bowl XLVIII, per Front Row.
Budweiser's "Puppy Love" led this list with 34 million views on YouTube and $9.9 million in YSV. Bud Light's "Up For Whatever" was second with 6.9 million YouTube views and $7.5 million in YSV, according to Front Row. (Editor's note: The commercial with Don Cheadle, Arnold Schwarzenegger and others has hit the 13 million mark on YouTube.)
“The viral marketing strategy employed by the top spending Super Bowl brands certainly exceeded many marketers expectations," said Eric Smallwood, svp-marketing and research for Front Row. "The sub-culture fostered by Super Bowl advertising lends perfectly to the success of launching the spots before they run on network TV.”
The top ten brands who advertised during Super Bowl XLVIII based on Front Row's YouTube Spot Value:
• Budweiser: "Puppy Love" 34M YouTube views, $9.9M YSV
• Bud Light: "Up For Whatever" 6.9M YouTube views, $7.5M YSV
• Volkswagen: "Wings" 9.4M YouTube views, $2.7M YSV
• Jaguar: "Rendezvous-Villains" 6.9M YouTube views, $2M YSV
• Hyundai Elantra: "Nice" 12M YouTube views, $1.9M YSV
• Budweiser: "Hero's Welcome" 6.3M YouTube views, $1.8M YSV
• Toyota Highlander: "No Room For Boring" 5.5M YouTube views, $1.7M YSV
• Axe: "Make Love, Not War" 5.1M youTube views, $1.5M YSV
• SodaStream: "Sorry, Coke and Pepsi" 9.2M YouTube views, $1.5M YSV
• Chevrolet: "Romance" 4.4M YouTube views, $1.3M YSV
Source: Front Row Analytics
Back to Super Bowl 48
Back to Home Page