Special to NYSportsJournalism.com
September 23, 2013: Picabo Street, Dan Jansen, Billy Demong and Alana Nichols head up a list of nine Olympic and Paralympic hopefuls and legends who are part of Team Citi, which will support financial firm Citigroup's efforts leading to and at the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi.
The athletes of Team Citi were selected because they "embody the spirit and mission of Citi’s Team USA sponsorship program and are dedicated to inspiring the next generation of athletes." according to the company.
Citi, which first participated in the Olympics in an official status at the 2012 Summer Games in London, earlier this year signed a deal with the U.S. Olympic Committee extending its official partner status through 2016.
In addition to Street, Jansen, Demong and Nichols, Team Citi includes Julie Chu, Erin Hamlin, Ted Ligety, Evan Lysacek and Rico Roman. The athletes will appear in multi-media marketing, make personal appearances and participate in other pre-Olympic activations.
“We are extremely proud to welcome such an inspiring group of U.S. Olympic and Paralympic athletes to Team Citi,” Michael Corbat, CEO for Citi, said in a statement. “Each of their journeys from ambition to achievement is unique, yet they share an unwavering commitment to competitive excellence. It is a commitment that inspires us as we serve our clients and enable progress in communities across the country.”
The 2014 Games will be played Feb. 7-23. The Paralympic Games are scheduled for March 7-16.
Global Olympic partners of the International Olympic Committee and the USOC include Atos, Coca-Cola, Dow Chemical, General Electric, McDonald's, Omega, Panasonic, Procter & Gamble, Samsung and Visa.
In addition to Citi, USOC domestic partners include 24 Hour Fitness, Anheuser-Busch (Budweiser) AT&T, BMW America, BP, Chobani, Deloitte, The Hartford, Hilton, Kellogg's, Liberty Mutual, Nike, Oakley, Smucker's, AmeriTrade and United.
Team City 2014
• Julie Chu: Three-time Olympian, silver (2002, 2010) and bronze (2006) medalist ice hockey
• Billy Demong: Four-time nordic combined Olympian, 2010 gold medalist Large Hill Individual Gunderson and silver medalist NC team
• Erin Hamlin: Two-time Olympian luge
• Dan Jansen: Four-time Olympian, 1994 gold medalist 1000m speed skating
• Ted Ligety: Two-time Olympian, 2006 gold medalist (combined) alpine skiing
• Evan Lysacek: Two-time Olympian, 2010 gold medalist men’s figure skating
• Alana Nichols: Three-time Paralympic alpine skiing Paralympic team member (summer and winter), gold (2010, downhill sitting & giant slalom sitting; 2008, wheelchair basketball), silver (2010, super-G sitting) and bronze (2010, super combined sitting) medalist; Paralympic alpine skiing
• Rico Roman: Paralympic hopeful sled hockey
• Picabo Street: Three-time Olympian, gold (1998, super-G) and silver (1994, downhill) medalist alpine skiing.
"Each of their journeys from ambition to achievement is unique, yet they share an unwavering commitment to competitive excellence."
"We are excited to continue our support of Team USA through the 2016 Games in Brazil," Corbat said when Citi unveiled its extension with the Olympic movement this past April. "Our first-ever USOC sponsorship last year proved to be a meaningful platform to engage colleagues while showcasing our innovative banking products to clients and consumers. Supporting our U.S. Olympic and Paralympic hopefuls on their journey from ambition to achievement captures how we aspire to help our clients reach their goals and we are proud to be a part of the Olympic Movement."
Back to Sochi 2014
Back to Home Page