By Barry Janoff
January 25, 2016: Russell Wilson, Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers and Peyton Manning are not only among the best quarterbacks in the NFL, they also have the best-selling merchandise.
Wilson (Seattle Seahawks) is No. 1, Brady (New England Patriots) No. 2, Rodgers (Green Bay Packers) No. 3 and Manning (Denver Broncos) No. 5 among all NFL players in sales of licensed products from March 1-November 30, 2015, according to NFL Players Inc., the licensing and marketing subsidiary of the NFL Players Assn.
Wilson was also the leader in merchandise sales from March 1, 2014- Feb. 28, 2015, while Brady led in sales for Q1, from March 1-May 31, 2015, per the NFLPA.
Quarterbacks took five of the top ten spots and six of the top 12 in overall merchandise sales, with Colin Kaepernick (San Francisco 49ers) No. 10 and Tony Romo (Dallas Cowboys) No. 12.
Cam Newton, who will quarterback the Super Bowl 50-bound Carolina Panthers, against Manning and the Broncos on Feb. 7, showed one of the biggest sales improvements in the league, jumping from No. 43 (sales from March 1 - Aug. 31) to No. 22 among all players, which placed him tenth among all quarterbacks.
The Top Ten also includes No. 4 Dez Bryant WR (Dallas Cowboys), No. 6 J.J. Watt DE (Houston Texans), No. 7 Odell Beckham Jr. WR (New York Giants), No. 8 Rob Gronkowski TE (New England Patriots), No. 9 Jason Witten TE (Dallas Cowboys) and Kaepernick.
This marks the first time that Gronkowski has been in the Top Ten for the first time since the NFLPA began to compile these retail statistics in 2013.
The Seahawks have the most players — six — ranked among the Top 50: Wilson, Richard Sherman (No. 11), Marshawn Lynch (No. 13), Jimmy Graham (No. 21), Kam Chancellor (No. 35) and Earl Thomas (No. 45).
NFLPA did not reveal specific sales figures.
From March 1, 2014- Feb. 28, 2015, retail sales from official NFLPI licensees topped $1.4 billion, according to the NFLPA.
The list is released quarterly by the NFLPA, via its licensing and marketing arm NFL Players Inc., and is based on overall sales of all licensed products from online and traditional retail outlets as reported by more than 80 NFLPA licensees.
Brands include Fanatics, Nike, VF Imagewear, Outerstuff, Fathead, McFarlane Toys, OYO Sports, Bleacher Creatures, FBF Originals, Forever Collectibles, FanPrint, Aminco, Photo File and New Era.
Licensed product categories include men’s, women’s and youth game jerseys and t-shirts, player murals, figurines, matted and framed photos, bobbleheads, lanyards, keyrings, pins, drinkware, socks, jewelry and electronic device accessories.
Among the information shared by NFLPA:
• Brady leads in name and number T-shirts for men, women and kids; OYO Sports, Funko figurines, Skinit phone cases and collegiate co-branded products (Michigan)
• Brady is tied for first with Wilson, Rodgers, Peyton Manning and Beckham Jr. in kids’ toys and apparel, including Bleacher Creatures, Outerstuff and OYO Sports
• Beckham Jr. leads all players in Fathead sales (pictured)
• Watt tops the list in drinkware from Boelter Brands and Tervis
• Rodgers is No. 1 in Bobblehead sales • Marcus Mariota is No. 1 in player-identified caps from New Era.
NFLPA Top 50 Player Merchandise Sales
March-November 2015 (March 1- Aug. 31)
1. Russell Wilson QB Seattle Seahawks (1)
2. Tom Brady QB New England Patriots (2)
3. Aaron Rodgers QB Green Bay Packers (4)
4. Dez Bryant WR Dallas Cowboys (6)
5. Peyton Manning QB Denver Broncos (3)
6. J.J. Watt DE Houston Texans (5)
7. Odell Beckham Jr. WR New York Giants (10)
8. Rob Gronkowski TE New England Patriots (11)
9. Jason Witten TE Dallas Cowboys (9)
10. Colin Kaepernick QB San Francisco 49ers (7)
11. Richard Sherman DB Seattle Seahawks (8)
12. Tony Romo QB Dallas Cowboys (13)
13. Marshawn Lynch RB Seattle Seahawks (12)
14. Marcus Mariota Tennessee Titans (17)
15. Andrew Luck QB Indianapolis Colts (14)
16. Clay Matthews LB Green Bay Packers (19)
17. Drew Brees QB New Orleans Saints (15)
18. Luke Kuechly LB Carolina Panthers (25)
19. DeMarco Murray RB Philadelphia Eagles (20)
20. Antonio Brown WR Pittsburgh Steelers (27)
21. Jimmy Graham TE Seattle Seahawks (21)
22. Cam Newton QB Carolina Panthers (43)
23. Jordy Nelson WR Green Bay Packers (16)
24. Calvin Johnson WR Detroit Lions (18)
25. Teddy Bridgewater QB Minnesota Vikings (24)
26. Le'Veon Bell RB Pittsburgh Steelers
27. Ryan Tannehill, QB, Miami Dolphins
28. Derek Carr, QB, Oakland Raiders
29. Julian Edelman, WR, New England Patriots
30. Amari Cooper, WR, Oakland Raiders
31. Jameis Winston, QB, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
32. Eli Manning, QB, New York Giants
33. Matt Forte, RB, Chicago Bears
34. Eddie Lacy, RB, Green Bay Packers
35. Kam Chancellor, SS, Seattle Seahawks
36. Joe Haden, DB, Cleveland Browns
37. A.J. Green, WR, Cincinnati Bengals
38. Ben Roethlisberger, QB, Pittsburgh Steelers
39. Jamaal Charles, RB, Kansas City Chiefs
40. LeSean McCoy, RB, Buffalo Bills
41. Sammy Watkins, WR, Buffalo Bills
42. Khalil Mack, LB, Oakland Raiders
43. Philip Rivers, QB, San Diego Chargers
44. Darrelle Revis, DB, New York Jets
45. Earl Thomas, DB, Seattle Seahawks
46. Julio Jones, WR, Atlanta Falcons
47. Larry Fitzgerald, WR, Arizona Cardinals
48. Jarryd Hayne, RB, San Francisco 49ers
49. Joe Flacco, QB, Baltimore Ravens
50. Alshon Jeffery, WR, Chicago Bears
Wilson Leads Pack Of QBs In Top-Selling Merch List
Back to Home Page