Special to NYSportsJournalism.com
November 22, 2016: The next Winter Games do not begin until Feb. 8, 2018 — 440 days from Thanksgiving Day 2016— but NBC Sports Group is preparing for the event in PyeongChang, South Korea, by airing what it called “an unprecedented” 100 hours of coverage of "test" events.
The coverage includes 12 Winter Olympic sports in which world cup events in respective sports will air across NBC, NBCSN, Universal HD, NBCSports.com and the NBC Sports app from Nov. 26 through March 2017.
NBC Sports Group called this coverage its "most-ever for Olympic Winter Games test events."
The sports include alpine skiing, biathlon, bobsled, cross country skiing, figure skating, freestyle skiing, nordic combined, short track, skeleton, ski jumping, snowboarding, and speed skating
NBC has had exclusive U.S. coverage of every Summer Olympic Games since Seoul in 1988 and every Winter Olympics Games since Salt Lake City in 2002. In 2011, NBCUniversal extended its TV rights deal for the Olympics through 2020 for $4.38 billion, and in 2014 again extended those rights through 2032 for $7.65 billion, according to industry analysts.
According to Jim Bell, Executive Producer, NBC Olympics, "We’re proud to continue our commitment to the Olympic Games, Olympic sports and Olympic athletes, many of whom will gather to compete in PyeongChang next winter. Our unprecedented coverage of these events will provide fans with more quality Olympic-sport programming than ever before."
NBC Sports Group’s coverage features 11 different events from November through March 2017, (subject to change):
• FIS Snowboard World Cup (Nov. 26-27)
• ISU Short Track World Cup (Dec. 16-18)
• FIS Cross Country World Cup (Feb. 3-4)
• FIS Nordic Combined World Cup (Feb. 4-5)
• ISU World Single Distances Speed Skating Championships (Feb. 9-10)
• FIS Freestyle Skiing World Cup (Feb. 10-11)
• FIS Ski Jumping World Cup (Feb. 15-16)
• ISU Four Continents Figure Skating Championships (Feb. 15-18)
• IBU Biathlon World Cup (March 2-3)
• FIS Alpine Skiing World Cup (March 17)
• IBSF Bobsled and Skeleton World Cup (March 18-19)
Back to Home Page