Special to NYSportsJournalism.com
December 15, 2015: Before the Montreal Canadiens and Boston Bruins face off in the outdoor Bridgestone Winter Classic in Gillette Stadium on Jan. 1, a bevy of marketing partners will line up as part of the NHL Winter Classic Spectator Plaza.
The league is building a two-day event, free to the public, that will include player signings, interactive games, photo ops, trading cards, memorabilia, official game merchandise and food, including the Oscar Mayer Wienermobile, a 27-foot long hot dog on wheels.
Also before the first puck is dropped for the game itself — scheduled for 1 PM (ET) on NBC — fans and viewers will have the opportunity to go behind the scenes via Epix Presents Road to the NHL Winter Classic (Dec. 16, Dec, 23, Dec. 30), watch the Bruins and Canadiens team practices in Gillette Stadium (Dec. 31) on NHL Network and NHL.com and see the NHL Winter Classic Alumni Game (Dec. 31, 3:30 PM) with more than 40 former Bruins and Canadiens players and coaches scheduled to participate, also in Gillette Stadium..
According to the NHL, the list of partners that will activate Dec. 31-Jan. 1 include:
• CCM with an Accu-Net shooting gallery
• Geico overseeing an NHL trivia contest and a hockey simulator
• Honda offering signed autographs from NHL Alumni and a chance to win a trip to the 2016 NHL Awards in Las Vegas)
• MetLife with a Sharp Shooter allowing visitors to test their hockey skills
• Molson Canadian building a Hockey House with interactive games, bubble hockey tournaments and selling beer (for those 21 years and older)
• Reebok presenting a "Dress For Battle" interactive display
• TicketMaster offering a Target Practice Challenge
• Upper Deck displaying and sharing hockey trading cards and games
• NHL Network and Xfinity teaming to give people an opportunity to call a game from a copy of the NHL Network set.
In addition, Coors Light is asking people to sign a drink responsibly pledge on a giant puck for an opportunity to win an NHL prize pack.
Retail tents within Spectator Plaza will feature an extensive selection of officially-licensed 2016 Bridgestone NHL Winter Classic merchandise.
The 2016 Bridgestone NHL Winter Classic Legacy Initiative powered by Constellation will unveil a renovated street hockey rink in Charlestown, Mass., funded by the Bruins, the City of Boston, Constellation and Bridgestone, with the Bryan McGonagle Street Hockey Rink at Ryan Playground having gotten a complete makeover (official unveiling scheduled for Dec. 17).
The Alumni Game is scheduled to feature such former Bruins as Ray Bourque, Cam Neely, Terry O'Reilly, Don Cherry and Mike Milbury; and Canadiens alumni including Yvan Cournoyer, Jacques Demersm, Guy Lafleur, Larry Robinson, Guy Carbonneau, Jose Theodore and Mats Naslund.
NHL, Epix Back On Road To Winter Classic
Back to Home Page