February 27, 2012: Robert Griffin III, the 2011 Heisman Trophy winner from Baylor University, has been named by Electronic Arts as the cover athlete for EA Sports NCAA Football 13, scheduled to hit retail on July 10.
Griffin — aka RG3 — will share the cover with a fellow past Heisman Trophy winner, who will be selected based on a Facebook-based online vote.
Beginning March 12, fans can log on to the EA Sports NCAA Football Facebook page to vote for one of eight Heisman Trophy winners to accompany Griffin on the cover of NCAA Football 13.
Griffin is expected to be the second quarterback selected — and possible No. 2 overall — in the 2012 NFL Draft, behind Stanford's Andrew Luck.
The candidates eligible to appear with RG3 include some of the greatest collegiate players of all time, many of whom went on to have outstanding NFL careers:
• Marcus Allen, University of Southern California running back
• Doug Flutie, Boston College quarterback
• Eddie George, Ohio State University running back
• Desmond Howard, University of Michigan wide receiver
• Barry Sanders, Oklahoma State University running back
• Herschel Walker, University of Georgia running back
• Charlie Ward Florida State University quarterback
• Andre Ware University of Houston quarterback.
Griffin, who became the first student-athlete from Baylor to win the Heisman Trophy, also won the Davey O’Brien Award and was named the Associated Press College Football Player of the Year in 2011. Last week he signed a multi-year deal with adidas.
For his four-year collegiate career, Griffin threw 78 touchdowns and passed for 10,366 yards, and ran for another 32 touchdowns and had 2,199 yards rushing.